Wednesday, December 9, 2009

SCD update days 3-5

We are 5 days strong with the SCD diet!!!! You have no idea how excited we are to say that. We were SO scared (mainly me) that we wouldn't be able to do it because it seems so scary and impossible.We are very blessed that Gabe loves to eat meats, so that has made it a lot easier on us. The hardest part was doing the intro diet and not having any snacks for school and in between meals. It's hard to explain to a 5 year old why they can't have a snack unless it's more meat or eggs (which Gabe is not a fan of).  That really sucks. Other than that, the diet has been really pretty simple. Gabe is such a wonderful little boy and we are so blessed to have him as our child. He amazes me everyday and I would take him a million times over ANY typical "easy" child any day! He is the strongest little boy I've ever known. 

I think he is feeling pretty icky the last few days due to the yeast die-off. The rash has gone away, but now he is having issues with constipation (normal for the diet) so we've been giving him milk of magnesia. It's funny because Elaine's book talks a lot about how to get rid of diarhea and what not to eat for that, but doesn't mention much about constipation. The PecanBread.com website mentions that it can be a side-effect from die-off, but doesn't really say how to keep it from happening. Maybe he will just have that problem until his gut heals a little more. Who knows.

Last night we bought some almonds and ground them in to flour to make some cookies that I found a recipe for. They were actually really simple to make and Gabe absolutely LOVED them. He was so thrilled to have "cookies" again. haha I made the first batch of 6 and tried one, but it seemed pretty bland so I ended up glazing them with a little bit of honey on top. That helped a lot. Gabe didn't seem to care either way though once I told him they were cookies. hahaha Gotta love boys! I was shocked that the almond flour turned out to work WAY better for baking cookies than any gluten-free product we tried. They rose well and didn't flatten as soon as I took them out of the oven. I would highly recommend using it!

 

Here is a picture of the cookies after they came out of the oven.  : )



 

No comments:

Post a Comment