Monday, February 15, 2010

I give up!

Yes, I said it. I give up on the SC diet! Gabe is miserable and not showing any positive signs from it, so I give up. We are going to stay GFCF and of course, organic and use many of the SCD recipes for health reasons. I am actually thinking of trying to make Gabe the yoghurt also. Might as well, right? lol
 I honestly think that there is no reason to live if you are not happy with life, and Gabe not being happy is not ok for me. His happiness is the MOST important thing in this world to me. I love him more than anything and will try just about anything to recover him from this terrible thing called autism, but I will NOT sit back and let him be un-happy. It would be one thing if he was doing amazing new things and could poop everyday without the use of a laxative, but sadly that just is not the case.

I'm sure that SCD works for many, many people and I do think it has many great qualities. It just doesn't work for Gabe. We gave it almost a full 3 month trial period. The weirdest thing is, we let Gabe get his favorite pizza from a local place called Monical's (they make a GF crust and we don't get cheese) and we saw NO reactions to coming off SCD. If anything, he pooped 4 times in the last 2 days and they were really "normal" consistency again (his poops have been TERRIBLE, smelly and gritty from all the nuts and nut based flours on SCD). I can't explain why except that maybe his body just really needed the carbs from the rice based pizza crust again. It is probably really hard for a 5yr old to have enough energy only eating nuts and meats like he was. We are really hopeful that by doing a combination of really healthy meals from both GFCF and SCD we can still heal Gabe's gut and keep him the happy, healthy little boy that we know and love.  Life is all about balance.  :)

2 comments:

  1. A team of researchers from the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center
    in Dallas completed a Phase I Clinical Study into whether or not the whey protein
    isolate ingredient Immunocal could lessen the symptoms of autism by raising
    glutathione levels in the brain.

    There is a ton of anecdotal evidence that raising Glutathione helps with Autism
    over the years. In fact the Phase I study at University of Texas Southwestern
    Medical Center in Dallas has been so successful that it is now in Phase II studies

    Immunocal is the only natural supplement scientifically proven to consistently
    raise the body’s glutathione levels, and thereby enhance the human immune system.

    For more information visit www.OurImmuneSystemBooster.com

    Dennis Morstad

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to say, you can tell if the diet is working or not. Our child is one year younger than yours. He is now 5. We started the SCD when he was 34 mos and three weeks into it, he woke up one day and could speak, jump, noticed kids, etc. I think when you do find the right diet for your child you'll know it. We had tried gfcf previous and got zilcho response. Every child is so different. I'm no expert, just a mom, but I think after three mos you would have been able to tell. Best of luck. You have a beautiful family.

    ReplyDelete